Re: kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Hi Dirk,
>>>
>>> I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.
>>>

>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> there seems to be still an issue with Jan's original patch.
>> Mostly, Freetz developers test in "expert-mode", but "beginners" and
>> "advanced" see [1].
>> The known as 370 patch was re-added in [2].
>
> Hi Sedat,
>
> I don't know about those modes but the reason for my original question
> was that my commit fixes a problem that appeares in rather uncommon
> cases of Kconfig files (I constructed such a case myself) and I was
> wondering if (and then why/how) the Freetz project constructed such a
> case.
>
>> Sorry, even it's in German, I did not understand the explanation of
>> cuma in [3], did you (use a translator)?
>
> I am German and understand the language without any translator ;-)
>
> I am not sure if I interpreted everything correctly, but I read the
> comments stating the Freetz project is having two problems when Jan's
> original patch isn't reverted:
>
> 1) They get an error message
>    "make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk:1: *** Undefined version for PKG_INIT in make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk."
>    and state that it disappears when Jan's Patch is reverted.  They call
>    that message a side-effect.
>
> 2) cuma says that they select symbols that are invisible to the user
>    and those symbols get not saved to file with Jan's patch active.
>
>    (Actually, he uses the term "things" and not symbols and says "it
>     doesn't help if those aren't saved")
>
> Well, I don't know why the Freetz people prefer to simply revert a patch
> instead of trying to investigate the problem in more detail and give
> valuable feedback to us but it seems as if my commit has nothing to do
> with the problems the Freetz project is having when not reverting Jan's
> patch.
>
>> This issue should be tracked.
>> I am willing to help.
>
> One non-technical remark: I am quite unconfortable with the way I got
> drawn into the "discussion" on freetz.org -- especially, because I
> prefer to maintain a respectful discussion style that is focussed on
> technical problems.  (Probably, I sometimes appear to break my own rule
> but hopefully others notice that English isn't my mother tongue and am
> just incorrectly using a foreign language.)
>
> My feeling is that besides a technical problem with a patch there is
> an unresolved conflict that I have nothing to do with and don't want to
> be drawn into.

Hallo Dirk,

Short: Best do the discussion here, not in the Freetz BTS.

I am interested in upstream work means report problems and follow a
discussion/bug-report and hopefully see a patch.
( One of the reason why I left the project - saying and doing should
not differ. )

As you say it's not really clear why Freetz needs this revert - not only to you.

I am not sure if this is a issue in the Kconfig-system or a special
problem in the Freetz-buildsystem (origin was buildroot).
For example, Freetz generates and uses caches (see Config.cache).
Someone can speculate about Kconfig-logic problems, too?!
One area seems to be the user-experience-level Kconfig-option (see [1]).
If you ask me, there are no 3 user-experience-levels needed.
For example: OpenWrt uses only "config XXX if DEVEL".
This is IMHO a useless complexity.
People know or don't know what they do, especially in the Linux embedded world.
( I have not tried to simplify the user-experience-level and see. )

A test-case would be helpful :-)!

Is it OK for you if you checkout freetz-devel...

    $ git clone https://github.com/olistudent/freetz.git

...and disable 370 patch?
It really has side-effects.
I tested an earlier freetz-devel version with kconfig-v3.8: If you
disable this patch you get immediately an error-message.

The Freetz community (especially some developers) is rude... paired
with ignorance and/or incompetence...
Always, I have "abdominal pain" to reference it.
But look at the discussion on LKML started from Sarah (xHCI developer)
about "rude bad evil Linus".

As I have spent some hours on the issue... I am interested in seeing
if it is a Freetz problem or an upstream one.
If it is a upstream issue I am willing to help.

BTW, all my patches have a detailed changelog.
I cannot be blamed if a project or certain developers do not document.
As said I am no more a Freetz developer.

I am really sorry for having not better tested kconfig-v3.11-rc3 even
after your 1st confirmation.
I waited for this confirmation and ***then*** sent my kconfig-update
patch to Freetz.
Not blaming you... I am interested in understanding the real facts and helping.

Have more fun!

- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/browser/trunk/Config.in#L8