Re: kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi Sedat,
>>>
>>> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
>>> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
>>> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>>>
>>> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
>>> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
>>> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
>>> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.
>>>

>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.
>>

> Hi Dirk,
>
> there seems to be still an issue with Jan's original patch.
> Mostly, Freetz developers test in "expert-mode", but "beginners" and
> "advanced" see [1].
> The known as 370 patch was re-added in [2].

Hi Sedat,

I don't know about those modes but the reason for my original question
was that my commit fixes a problem that appeares in rather uncommon
cases of Kconfig files (I constructed such a case myself) and I was
wondering if (and then why/how) the Freetz project constructed such a
case.

> Sorry, even it's in German, I did not understand the explanation of
> cuma in [3], did you (use a translator)?

I am German and understand the language without any translator ;-)

I am not sure if I interpreted everything correctly, but I read the
comments stating the Freetz project is having two problems when Jan's
original patch isn't reverted:

1) They get an error message
   "make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk:1: *** Undefined version for PKG_INIT in make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk."
   and state that it disappears when Jan's Patch is reverted.  They call
   that message a side-effect.

2) cuma says that they select symbols that are invisible to the user
   and those symbols get not saved to file with Jan's patch active.

   (Actually, he uses the term "things" and not symbols and says "it
    doesn't help if those aren't saved")

Well, I don't know why the Freetz people prefer to simply revert a patch
instead of trying to investigate the problem in more detail and give
valuable feedback to us but it seems as if my commit has nothing to do
with the problems the Freetz project is having when not reverting Jan's
patch.

> This issue should be tracked.
> I am willing to help.

One non-technical remark: I am quite unconfortable with the way I got
drawn into the "discussion" on freetz.org -- especially, because I
prefer to maintain a respectful discussion style that is focussed on
technical problems.  (Probably, I sometimes appear to break my own rule
but hopefully others notice that English isn't my mother tongue and am
just incorrectly using a foreign language.)

My feeling is that besides a technical problem with a patch there is
an unresolved conflict that I have nothing to do with and don't want to
be drawn into.

Best regards,

Dirk