Re: kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sedat, Dirk, All,

>> Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.

>> No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
>> It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!
>>
>>> thanks for the clarification and fixing this up.
>>> I told Yann in my private email to always add a reference to the
>>> "culprit" commit (root-cause).
>>
>> Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
>> "a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
>> does not provide this information.
>>
>> Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
>> patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
>> just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
>> needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
>> Hey, Dirk! ;-)
>>
>> But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
>> introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
>> commit log of that new patch, indeed.
>>

> Next time we all do it better before!
> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>
> Good news:
> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>
> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>
> - Sedat -
>
> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk

Hi Sedat,

I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
the same problem that [3] fixes.

Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.

Dirk

[1] http://freetz.org/browser/trunk/tools/make/patches/370-save-hidden-prompts-to-file.kconfig.patch
[2] kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute
[3] kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()