Re: Is root kernel parameter expected to be the first one or something?

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:44:28 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:32:42 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:41:48 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:16:29 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Hello,

Today I had built a new next kernel with these parameters. I did not get what I expected
I don't think I understand your question.
What did you expect?
I expected higher resolution console, smaller font etc
Boy was I confused.  I thought that your question was about the root=
kernel boot parameter.

Well, there are several questions to be asked.  and one more comment.

1.  what video (framebuffer) driver are you using?
Ashamed to say, but I do not know. vga=791 works perfectly when I specifiy it via GRUB modification, either during pre-booting phase or in menu.lst. I thought that it would work if I enable it by the oprions I provided in the previous message.
That does sound, hm, suspicious.

OK, the above is the main problem, right?
If so, I'll try to find time to test it.

aapi205:/usr/src/linux# gzip -cd /proc/config.gz | grep -A 1 vga=791
CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet vga=791"
CONFIG_CMDLINE_OVERRIDE=y
aapi205:/usr/src/linux# cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet vga=791

First if all I tried to test whether the overriding code works at all, and it seems it works, I am now booted having edited root=/dev/nonexistent at GRUB prompt, and it seems that the values set at build time have overriden values set at GRUB prompt. But the vga=791 parameter does not work at all, I have the usual console, with big characters.

--
- Dlaczego hipopotamy mają okrągłe stopy?
- By łatwo było przeskakiwać z lilii na lilię.