Re: Is root kernel parameter expected to be the first one or something?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:32:42 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

> Randy Dunlap wrote:

> >> I expected higher resolution console, smaller font etc
> >
> > Boy was I confused.  I thought that your question was about the root=
> > kernel boot parameter.
> >
> > Well, there are several questions to be asked.  and one more comment.
> >
> > 1.  what video (framebuffer) driver are you using?
>
> Ashamed to say, but I do not know. vga=791 works perfectly when I
> specifiy it via GRUB modification, either during pre-booting phase or in
> menu.lst. I thought that it would work if I enable it by the oprions I
> provided in the previous message.

That does sound, hm, suspicious.

> > 2.  is it builtin the kernel image or is it a loadable module?
>
> Loadable mofule I suppose, I can see nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/... - I
> install Nbvidia driver with Nvidia tool each time after kernel change.
> Each time the module has to be compiled anew.

So this nvidia driver supports "vga=<value>" ?

> > 3.  have you read Documentation/svga.txt and Documentation/fb/{fbcon,vesafb}.txt ?
>
> No, I havent, yet.

> > And my comment is that your question (about video) would be better on the
> > linux-fbdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.  It's not about kbuild/kconfig,
> > unless kconfig is not saving the build parameters correctly...
>
> But I don't know if it is a fb problem, I quoted kernel config
> parameters I used, may be there is a problem with them?

Well, to me, all of the questions are about video/framebuffer usage.
That's why I recommended that mailing list.

Although if you are using the binary-only nvidia driver, it will probably
be difficult to help you.

---
~Randy