Re: Is root kernel parameter expected to be the first one or something?

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:41:48 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:16:29 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Hello,

Today I had built a new next kernel with these parameters. I did not get what I expected
I don't think I understand your question.
What did you expect?
I expected higher resolution console, smaller font etc

Boy was I confused.  I thought that your question was about the root=
kernel boot parameter.

Well, there are several questions to be asked.  and one more comment.

1.  what video (framebuffer) driver are you using?

Ashamed to say, but I do not know. vga=791 works perfectly when I specifiy it via GRUB modification, either during pre-booting phase or in menu.lst. I thought that it would work if I enable it by the oprions I provided in the previous message.

2.  is it builtin the kernel image or is it a loadable module?

Loadable mofule I suppose, I can see nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/... - I install Nbvidia driver with Nvidia tool each time after kernel change. Each time the module has to be compiled anew.

3.  have you read Documentation/svga.txt and Documentation/fb/{fbcon,vesafb}.txt ?

No, I havent, yet.

And my comment is that your question (about video) would be better on the
linux-fbdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.  It's not about kbuild/kconfig,
unless kconfig is not saving the build parameters correctly...

But I don't know if it is a fb problem, I quoted kernel config parameters I used, may be there is a problem with them?

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
> Jeden z powodów, dla których KRK nie był skłonny do
> oddawania Biblii w ręce pospólstwa. Po rozmowie z
> Jehowitami często można zrozumieć, dlaczego.
Tak. Ja na przykład zrozumiałem że Jan Chrzciciel był
kolejarzem - bo: "z kolei udał się nad Jordan".
NP: Mark Knopfler - So Far From The Clyde
NB: 2.6.34-rc2-next-20100329+