Re: Is root kernel parameter expected to be the first one or something?

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:44:28 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:32:42 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:41:48 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:16:29 +0200 Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

Hello,

Today I had built a new next kernel with these parameters. I did not get what I expected
I don't think I understand your question.
What did you expect?
I expected higher resolution console, smaller font etc
Boy was I confused.  I thought that your question was about the root=
kernel boot parameter.

Well, there are several questions to be asked.  and one more comment.

1.  what video (framebuffer) driver are you using?
Ashamed to say, but I do not know. vga=791 works perfectly when I specifiy it via GRUB modification, either during pre-booting phase or in menu.lst. I thought that it would work if I enable it by the oprions I provided in the previous message.
That does sound, hm, suspicious.

OK, the above is the main problem, right?
If so, I'll try to find time to test it.

Thanks in advance.

2.  is it builtin the kernel image or is it a loadable module?
Loadable mofule I suppose, I can see nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/... - I install Nbvidia driver with Nvidia tool each time after kernel change. Each time the module has to be compiled anew.
So this nvidia driver supports "vga=<value>" ?
I suppose it does because it works perfectly when I put it in menu.lst file in GRUB config or specify it in GRUB before the kernel boots.

3.  have you read Documentation/svga.txt and Documentation/fb/{fbcon,vesafb}.txt ?
No, I havent, yet.

And my comment is that your question (about video) would be better on the
linux-fbdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.  It's not about kbuild/kconfig,
unless kconfig is not saving the build parameters correctly...
But I don't know if it is a fb problem, I quoted kernel config parameters I used, may be there is a problem with them?

Well, to me, all of the questions are about video/framebuffer usage.
That's why I recommended that mailing list.
But I read a bit and this is not a case of framebuffer, pkain svga mode.

Although if you are using the binary-only nvidia driver, it will probably
be difficult to help you.
It is not binary-only, I have to rebuild the driver in every kernel change.

Where can I download the driver to look at it, please?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_195.36.15.html

You download the driver and ru it :

bash downloaded_file.run

--
Janusz Korwin-Mikke:
"Generalnie rzecz biorąc, ja jestem w jednej dziedzinie za