Re: Touchpad stickiness on AMD laptops (was Dell Inspiron/XPS)

Hi Wolfram,

On 1/6/22 14:14, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> bumping this old thread because there might be some progress and it
> still affects quite some people.
>
>> But I must be honest here, I don't see much progress being made
>> on this until someone with a significant amount of kernel / hw-enablement
>> experience gets it hands on one of these models. Either because some
>
> So, I am quite optimistic that Andrea's issue is the same one which
> Miroslav Bendik dived into [1]. I will surely try to help with part of
> the PIIX I2C driver, but I lack the experience with the RMI4 driver. I
> wonder if you could have a look and maybe share your thoughts?
>
> Thanks and all the best,
>
>    Wolfram
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/r/CAPoEpV0ZSidL6aMXvB6LN1uS-3CUHS4ggT8RwFgmkzzCiYJ-XQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Benjamin Tissoires really is the export on the synaptics PS/2 -> switch to
smbus mode devices, he did all the initial hw-enablement for them.

Benjamin, see the email Wolfram linked above. It seems that on AMD
laptops we have synaptics intertouch devices connected to a plain
PIIX4 compatible I2C controller.

So we need to either add support for SMBUS host-notify to the
PIIX4 smbus driver (at least for AMD parts) or we need to support
OOB IRQ signalling in the rmi4 code, assuming there is an OOB IRQ
at all.

I've also added Mario Limonciello from AMD's client group to the Cc,

Mario, we can really use some help / insight from AMD here, both with
the problem to detect the IO addresses of the AMD PIIX4 compatible
smbus controller as well as with smbus host-notify support, see:

https://lore.kernel.org/r/CAPoEpV0ZSidL6aMXvB6LN1uS-3CUHS4ggT8RwFgmkzzCiYJ-XQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Hans