Re: Touchpad stickiness on Dell Inspiron/XPS

(resending as plain text)

Hello everyone,

I hope I find you well.

I am writing this to report a touchpad issue faced by me and several
other DELL users across several different distros (HW defect has been
ruled out by people unable to reproduce on Windows).

First thing that came to mind was to report this to the libinput
project, which I did here:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/618

A similar report by another user followed shortly after:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/636 (will be
closed as dupe eventually, so please keep #618 as reference)

Issue has been also reported by yet another user on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/ofbzg3/dell_xps_15_9510_experience/h5ddy07/
and https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/ofbzg3/dell_xps_15_9510_experience/h5zjwc8/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

And finally, I have reported it on the DELL user forums (no help
whatsoever from DELL):

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Tiger-Lake-DELL-Inspiron-Touchpad-Cursor-temporarily-drops/m-p/8021753#M126292

The investigation on the libinput side appears to be complete, as
maintainers didn't spot anything weird there (also, the issue is also
reproducible with the synaptics lib, suggesting that this might be
lower level).

Robert Martin suggested to raise this to you now, as per comment:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/618#note_1042277

I'm kind of new to Linux mailing lists and bug reporting, so please
forgive me if I'm violating some rules or etiquette, I'd be glad to
rectify if that's the case.

I also don't know what is the best way to keep the conversation going,
e.g. if there's an issue tracker or instead mailing lists are the
preferred choice.

You should find some interesting data in the above mentioned reports
already, if not, please don't hesitate to let me know or chime in on
libinput issue #618 directly.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Andrea IPPOLITO