Re: Live module for root=nfs using Aufs

2010/11/10 Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 11/08/2010 08:03 PM, Jon Ander Hernandez wrote:
>>
>> 2010/11/8 Seewer Philippe<philippe.seewer@xxxxxx>:
>>
>>> I just had a quick look over the patch and in itself it looks ok.
>>> Although
>>> I'm not sure if having the aufs at this stage is necessary. What if you
>>> just
>>> mount it later inside the rootfs? (Background: I'm using aufs overlays
>>> for
>>> our read only nfs-roots, and I just put the necessary aufs mounts inside
>>> fstab)
>>
>> I have to say that I haven't thought about it before.... It is really
>> a good idea, and is probably better than have a specific module. :-)
>>
>> But something that worries me, is if the init process will cause
>> problems, since we will be mounting a new root over the old one once
>> we have processes which have previously opened files on the old /.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jon Ander.
>
> So, do you still need this dracut module? Or is it good enough, to do this
> in the real root?

The short answer is I still require something which makes the union
mount very early.
The long answer is I don't know if it is feasible to do the union
mount on the fstab or if the initramfs is the only option. The idea
doesn't seem to be so bad, but I find terrible dificul to debug the
result when in that ecuation you have nfs4 and upstart. So I don't
exactly know what is going on before my nodes get freezed...

I'll need to make more tests, and debug a little more.