Re: Live module for root=nfs using Aufs

On 11/08/2010 01:43 AM, Jon Ander Hernandez wrote:
Hello,

We are currently developing a tool for creating simple beowulf
clusters, and we decided to use Dracut instead of initramfs-tools on
Debian. We found Dracut to be very well designed.

We have developed a very simple module, which allows us to have a
writable overlay over a read-only exported nfs4 using aufs :

http://kestrelhpc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/kestrelhpc/Kestrelhpc/Src/dracut/union_mount_with_aufs.diff

Well, it is so general that also allows to get a writable overlay over
any root mounted by Dracut.

I just had a quick look over the patch and in itself it looks ok. Although I'm not sure if having the aufs at this stage is necessary. What if you just mount it later inside the rootfs? (Background: I'm using aufs overlays for our read only nfs-roots, and I just put the necessary aufs mounts inside fstab)

I've seen that you are changing Dracut's parameter's namespace, and I
would like to know if this kind of "live" use case could fit in them
somehow, because it seems that the actual live namespace implies the
classic live cd-rom use case.

We also have several patches for make Dracut 007's network work on
Ubuntu Maverick. Should I open a bug on Debian's bugzilla or should
they be reviewed on this list instead?

Please post your patches here. There's more eyes here I think :-)

Regards,
Philippe