Re: module 90kernel-modules-loaded

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Friday, March 06 2009, Victor Lowther said:
Victor Lowther (victor.lowther@xxxxxxxxx) said:
http://git.surfsite.org/dracut.git
git://surfsite.org/pub/git/dracut.git
Wasn't the entire point to make the initramfs generic?
No, to make the initramfs generator generic. A subtle but important
distinction.
Nope. The plan was (quoting earlier mails to the list, from the
creators...):

[I]nstead of scripts hard-coded to do various things, we depend on
udev to create device nodes for us and then when we have the
rootfs's device node, we mount and carry on
We do this just fine.  Udev is the engine that drives everything in a
dracut-generated initramfs -- the additional scripts are there in the
initramfs to handle things that udev does not handle gracefully. If you
see some functionality currently handles in a script that udev could
handle better, please implement it.

The problem is the direction seems to be "hm, udev can't do this, guess
we'll make a hook" rather than "fix udev and the underlying tools".
Yes, it means it's harder.  And yes it means that distros have to get
updates for everything to work.  But otherwise, we remain in the past
with piles of scripts doing most things.

Problems so far:
	- dmraid (raid assembly)
	- device mapper handled /dev/ symlinks