Re: module 90kernel-modules-loaded

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Seewer Philippe wrote:

That would mean adding tons of drivers and another layer of complex code to decide at runtime what parts of the initrd to run.

I could argue the same for the drivers for the block devices and their tools. If the root is using NFS, there is no need for a block device detection; this however is still needed for iSCSI (and possibly FCoE in the future).

Maybe allow at build time to specify what boot drivers+tools to be included ? This would certainly reduce the generic-ness of the initramfs, but would also reduce the size and complexity.

For net-boots I couldn't care less about boot time and the size of the initrd.

I do. When I boot 100+ cluster nodes at once from a single server, I want to minimize the network traffic at a minimum, especially a part that happens over UDP.

--
Bogdan Costescu

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx