Re: [GSOC][RFC] Proposal

On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 08:29:50PM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:33:09 +0530
> Rohit Sarkar <rohitsarkar5398@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 01, 2020 at 02:34:18PM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

> > > Hi Rohit,
> > >
> > > A couple of questions.   Do you have a gsoc mentor lined up?
> >
> > On the GSOC IIO page (https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2020-gsoc-iio-driver)
> > Dragos has been listed as a mentor. Haven't really heard back from him
> > yet.
>
> I would definitely be looking to discuss this with Dragos.
>
> > > You should discuss a proposal with whoever that is.
> > >
> > > My gut feeling is that the features suggested by Jean-Baptisite
> > > do not form a particularly good focus for the body of a gsoc project.
> > > There are too many rather disassociated items, without a connected
> > > 'story'.
> > >
> > > They are good items for getting familiar with the subsystem and
> > > a particular driver but for the actual project you probably want
> > > something that is more 'yours' in the sense that you drive it from
> > > initial prototypes through to final upstream code.
> > >
> > > Previous projects have (I think) mostly centred on support for a new
> > > driver.
> >
> > Makes sense. Is there any new driver that needs to be added though? And
> > if not what else can qualify as a project?
>
> There might be something, but that sort of project is much harder
> to structure than a clear implement something.
>
> There are always new devices that don't have drivers that someone
> is interested in supporting.  The main requirement is to find
> find something that the mentor things is the right balance of
> complex and not too complex to support.
>
> The link you have above suggests Dragos was thinking of an Analog
> devices part (which makes sense given his day job ;)
>
> You are still fairly early (which is great) so it may well be that
> Dragos hasn't yet spun up for this round.
>
> Jonathan
Thanks for getting back!
I have indeed reached out to Dragos and it seems the IIO GSOC page has
been updated since this mail chain was started.

Hijacking this mail thread for another question I had:
The page mentions that the recommended hardware is a Raspberry pi model
3 B+, I recently got a RPi 4 model B to facilitate my development in the
iio subsystem, will that be fine?

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jonathan
> > >

> > Thanks,