Re: [GSOC][RFC] Proposal

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 00:50:15 +0530
Rohit Sarkar <rohitsarkar5398@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 09:41:37PM +0530, Rohit Sarkar wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am proposing to work on the accelerometer MPU6050 as my primary
> > project for the summer. The work items are outlined in [1] thanks to
> > Jean.
> > If time permits (which it should), I will be picking up other tasks
> > outlined in [2] by Jonathan and Alexandru.
> >

> > Would like to hear people's views on this.
> >
> > [1]: https://marc.info/?l=linux-iio&m=158257639113000&w=2
> > [2]: https://marc.info/?l=linux-iio&m=158261515624212&w=2
> > Thanks,
> > Rohit
> >

> Hey guys,
> would love some feedback on this.
> There are no proposals as such on the GSOC IIO page [1].
> Was wondering if there is any new iio driver that can be made into a
> gsoc project.

Hi Rohit,

A couple of questions.   Do you have a gsoc mentor lined up?

You should discuss a proposal with whoever that is.

My gut feeling is that the features suggested by Jean-Baptisite
do not form a particularly good focus for the body of a gsoc project.
There are too many rather disassociated items, without a connected
'story'.

They are good items for getting familiar with the subsystem and
a particular driver but for the actual project you probably want
something that is more 'yours' in the sense that you drive it from
initial prototypes through to final upstream code.

Previous projects have (I think) mostly centred on support for a new
driver.

Thanks,

Jonathan