Re: smbus read help needed

On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 02:13:17PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 08/03/2016 06:57 AM, Alison Schofield wrote:
> > I'm blocked on this smbus read problem.
> >
> > hdc100x triggered buffer review feedback pointed out that I cannot rely
> > on i2c_master_recv() since this driver currently only requires smbus funcs.
> > That led me to create an alternative path using smbus byte reads like the
> > driver was doing in direct mode.
> >
> > I found the reads don't work.  hdc100x does not expect a stop condition
> > after sending the first byte which is what smbus_read_byte gives you. So,
> > when you do the second read, you are getting the first byte again.  Net
> > effect is that of the 14 bits used for the measurement, the 8 most
> > significant bits are correct, the lower 6 are not.
> >
> > hdc100x only wants this:
> > 	S Addr Rd [A] [Data] A [Data] A ... A [Data] NA P
> >
> > I tried by testing, and by inspection, each flavor of smbus read and none
> > match the pattern that hdc100x wants.  (read_byte, read_word_data,
> > read_word_swapped, read_block_data, read_i2c_block_data all fail)
> > The read_byte is actually the only smbus read command the sensor accepts.
> >
> > Texas Instruments publishes this doc explaining its SMBus (in)compatibility.
> > http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa132/sloa132.pdf
> > I did get one lead out of it.  It suggests using the write block protocol,
> > with the READ bit set. That does look like it could work.  I tried using
> > i2c_smbus_xfer() directly, thinking maybe I could fool it, but that doesn't
> > get me down to the low level of control I think I would need to pull this off.
> >
> > I see flags for i2c_msg that might be helpful...if they worked at the
> > smbus level:
> > I2C_M_REV_DIR_ADDR reverses r/w bit
> > I2C_M_NOSTART strips off that beginning segment we don't want
> >
> > If we could use a NOSTOP flag on the read byte command then i could
> > any flags, other than for PEC, on smbus.
> >
> > Also, saw an MDELAY flag that seemed interesting, as if I could program
> > the delay between starting and reading the measurement, so it could all
> > be done in one block data command. Again, not smbus.
> >
> > I guess these ideas are all breaking the idea of being smbus compliant
> > anyway.
> >
> > Is this fixable with smbus?
> > If not, how do you 'graciously' change a drivers requirements?
>

> I wouldn't worry about this too much. If the part is not SMBUS compliant
> there is no need to try to access it only with SMBUS methods. A system
> designer will most likely not connect the part to a SMBUS-only controller.
>
> What's actually quite important though at a software level is that you do
> your write+read in a single I2C transaction and not split it over multiple
> calls. Otherwise a device on the same I2C bus could be accessed in between
> and that would really break things.
>
> If you want to address Jonathan's comments about backwards compatibility,
> instead of returning with an error simply disable buffer mode if the host
> controller only has SMBUS capabilities.

Thank Lars.
I need to fix the existing direct mode reads first.  That is the part
that could break existing userspace.

I like what you say about a system designer not connecting the part to a
SMBUS-only controller, but I'm guessing this fix is going to break
the user who got lucky with SMBUS-only.

I'll work up a patch for fixing the existing reads (with i2c cmds) and
get it out for comments.

alisons