Re: smbus read help needed

On 08/03/2016 06:57 AM, Alison Schofield wrote:
> I'm blocked on this smbus read problem.
>
> hdc100x triggered buffer review feedback pointed out that I cannot rely
> on i2c_master_recv() since this driver currently only requires smbus funcs.
> That led me to create an alternative path using smbus byte reads like the
> driver was doing in direct mode.
>
> I found the reads don't work.  hdc100x does not expect a stop condition
> after sending the first byte which is what smbus_read_byte gives you. So,
> when you do the second read, you are getting the first byte again.  Net
> effect is that of the 14 bits used for the measurement, the 8 most
> significant bits are correct, the lower 6 are not.
>
> hdc100x only wants this:
> 	S Addr Rd [A] [Data] A [Data] A ... A [Data] NA P
>
> I tried by testing, and by inspection, each flavor of smbus read and none
> match the pattern that hdc100x wants.  (read_byte, read_word_data,
> read_word_swapped, read_block_data, read_i2c_block_data all fail)
> The read_byte is actually the only smbus read command the sensor accepts.
>
> Texas Instruments publishes this doc explaining its SMBus (in)compatibility.
> http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa132/sloa132.pdf
> I did get one lead out of it.  It suggests using the write block protocol,
> with the READ bit set. That does look like it could work.  I tried using
> i2c_smbus_xfer() directly, thinking maybe I could fool it, but that doesn't
> get me down to the low level of control I think I would need to pull this off.
>
> I see flags for i2c_msg that might be helpful...if they worked at the
> smbus level:
> I2C_M_REV_DIR_ADDR reverses r/w bit
> I2C_M_NOSTART strips off that beginning segment we don't want
>
> If we could use a NOSTOP flag on the read byte command then i could
> any flags, other than for PEC, on smbus.
>
> Also, saw an MDELAY flag that seemed interesting, as if I could program
> the delay between starting and reading the measurement, so it could all
> be done in one block data command. Again, not smbus.
>
> I guess these ideas are all breaking the idea of being smbus compliant
> anyway.
>
> Is this fixable with smbus?
> If not, how do you 'graciously' change a drivers requirements?

I wouldn't worry about this too much. If the part is not SMBUS compliant
there is no need to try to access it only with SMBUS methods. A system
designer will most likely not connect the part to a SMBUS-only controller.

What's actually quite important though at a software level is that you do
your write+read in a single I2C transaction and not split it over multiple
calls. Otherwise a device on the same I2C bus could be accessed in between
and that would really break things.

If you want to address Jonathan's comments about backwards compatibility,
instead of returning with an error simply disable buffer mode if the host
controller only has SMBUS capabilities.