Re: Correctness of acpi-als channel mask

On Monday, December 21, 2015 at 11:08:55 AM, Gabriele Mazzotta wrote:

> >> Looks like it to me as well.  Cc'd Marek and Martin.
> >
> > Gotta say, I haven't looked at ACPI for a while now. My impression is
> > that these data are RAW and the system software can adjust them based on
> > the values in _ALR table. The result of that would be _PROCESSED I
> > think. But I might be entirely wrong.
>
> I'm not sure of this. _ALR returns an ambient light illuminance to
> display luminance mapping that suggests how to adjust the screen
> backlight. There are then _ALC and _ALT which report the ambient light
> color chromaticity and the ambient light color temperature respectively.

ALC and ALT are optional I believe (at least I recall my crappy old hardware
on which I first implemented this didn't have them at all). Thanks for
clarifying what the ALR means, I never really understood how that was supposed
to work in the first place .

> So I don't think there are adjustments we can perform.

If you think _PROCESSED is more appropriate, I will not oppose it. At this
point, you are the bigger expert on ALS :)

> > Best regards,
> > Marek Vasut

Best regards,
Marek Vasut