Re: [RFC]coding style for NULL pointer checks

On 19/02/14 22:54, Hartmut Knaack wrote:
Jonathan Cameron schrieb:
On 16/02/14 18:56, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
On 02/16/2014 01:19 PM, Hartmut Knaack wrote:
Hi together,
I noticed, that many pointers in the IIO subsystem are checked for successful allocation in the way of "if (pointer == NULL)" or "if (pointer != NULL)", while in a few cases the form of simply "if (!pointer)" or "if (pointer)" is used. So, is there any interest in having a more consistent style, and if so, for which one?
My personal preference is for the latter one.
I think enforcing this is a bit to much nitpicking. So if you clean this up the other pattern will probably appear again in new drivers at some point.

Otherwise, if you feel strongly about this, go ahead and send a patch.
My inclination on this is that there are better things to spend time on
but as they say scratch the itch if you really want to!

I'd rather have the nice error patch cleanups you've been doing or
if you are really bored, there are lots of staging drivers in need of
tendour loving care!

Well, never mind then. Do you have some kind of To-Do-List?
Saddly I / we are never quite that organised.  Tends to be mostly take
a nice cleanup that was applied to a driver and propagate it across similar
parts.  One outstanding one right now is to use the shared_by infomask
elements recently introduced (by_dir and by_all) to get rid of as many
hand specified attributes as possible.  The other big helpful thing
is to review other peoples submissions.
Otherwise I would get back to my other projects.
That's fair enough.  Nice to have some variety!
Concerning the staging drivers, I miss some motivation to work on
device drivers that I don't have the devices for.
That's fair enough.  Strangely I can't remember when I last did any
work on a device I actually own ;)  Still have a quite a few here
somewhere that don't have drivers, but need to get the soldering iron out
and never seem to get time.
Therefor I was  mainly focusing on the ad799x. So, by the way, which are currently the show-stoppers for the ad799x preventing a move out of staging?
None that I know of, other than a final review.  Sounds like Lars is happy which
is always a good sign.
And, are there any plans to provide documentation about the supported IIO devices (similar to hwmon)?
Err. we tried this for a bit on the iio-utils wiki page, but rapidly got
left behind.

I guess it might be a useful resource if anyone fancies maintaining it?

Hartmut