Re: passing two interrupts two an I2C driver

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 05:25:23PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/20/2013 02:44 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:

> >> But the rules for interrupts basically precludes the useful use of
> >> interrupt-names.
> >>
> >> The interrupts property was introduced long before interrupt-names. As
> >> such, the rule was always that entries in interrupts had to appear at a
> >> specific index in the property, in other words, the property had to be
> >> in a specific order, and there's no way of missing entries out.
> >
> > Ok, so for bindings that existed before reg-names, and never mentioned
> > reg-names, indexed accesses to reg entries must always be used.
> >
> >> The interrupt-names property was added much later and more as a
> >> documentation for the order in *.dts than as the primary lookup key.
> >> Even with an interrupt-names property present, the order of entries in
> >> interrupts is still fixed.
> >>
> >> So, using interrupt-names doesn't allow you to have optional entries in
> >> interrupts, nor re-order the property. We really should not have added
> >> interrupt-names, since it gives false impressions.
> >
> > I'm not sure why that has to be true for new bindings. The new bindings
> > were never used before the existence of reg-names, so it doesn't seem so
> > bad for the new bindings to require the use of reg-names, or to define
> > some optional usage of reg-names.
>
> IIRC, the argument put forth was that OSs may assume a complete lack of
> the reg-names property and only allow looking up reg values by index,
> and hence making use of reg-names would prohibit those OSs from
> supporting new bindings. Although that said, quite why reg-names was
> then allowed as a property I don't know. IIRC, another argument was that
> we didn't want to force people into the overhead of parsing via
> reg-names when a simple index could be used instead, so reg had to
> always have a defined order even if reg-names was allowed.
>
> On the assumption that reg-names wasn't retro-fitted to any "old"
> bindings that originally just documents reg and not reg-names, then I
> suppose we could say:
>
> If a binding defines reg-names, either reg-names or hard-coded indices
> may be used to find entries in reg. Otherwise, only hard-coded indices
> may be allowed.
>
> But I'm worried that people will see reg-names and assume they can put
> entries in arbitrary order...

We should fix the binding documents to make clear which bindings require
their reg properties at fixed indexes, and those which allow for
arbitrarily ordered named reg entries. Named reg entries are really
useful for blocks with optional components, and given we have drivers
using them, they're already mandatory for some bindings.

Thanks,
Mark.