Re: passing two interrupts two an I2C driver

On 08/20/2013 02:44 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:09:34PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:

>>> The interrupt-names property exists for this purpose (describing
>>> interrupts which may or may not be present). Describing a nonexistent
>>> interrupt and mapping it nowhere feels like a hack to me when we can
>>> describe exactly what's present.
>>
>> But the rules for interrupts basically precludes the useful use of
>> interrupt-names.
>>
>> The interrupts property was introduced long before interrupt-names. As
>> such, the rule was always that entries in interrupts had to appear at a
>> specific index in the property, in other words, the property had to be
>> in a specific order, and there's no way of missing entries out.
>
> Ok, so for bindings that existed before reg-names, and never mentioned
> reg-names, indexed accesses to reg entries must always be used.
>
>> The interrupt-names property was added much later and more as a
>> documentation for the order in *.dts than as the primary lookup key.
>> Even with an interrupt-names property present, the order of entries in
>> interrupts is still fixed.
>>
>> So, using interrupt-names doesn't allow you to have optional entries in
>> interrupts, nor re-order the property. We really should not have added
>> interrupt-names, since it gives false impressions.
>
> I'm not sure why that has to be true for new bindings. The new bindings
> were never used before the existence of reg-names, so it doesn't seem so
> bad for the new bindings to require the use of reg-names, or to define
> some optional usage of reg-names.

IIRC, the argument put forth was that OSs may assume a complete lack of
the reg-names property and only allow looking up reg values by index,
and hence making use of reg-names would prohibit those OSs from
supporting new bindings. Although that said, quite why reg-names was
then allowed as a property I don't know. IIRC, another argument was that
we didn't want to force people into the overhead of parsing via
reg-names when a simple index could be used instead, so reg had to
always have a defined order even if reg-names was allowed.

On the assumption that reg-names wasn't retro-fitted to any "old"
bindings that originally just documents reg and not reg-names, then I
suppose we could say:

If a binding defines reg-names, either reg-names or hard-coded indices
may be used to find entries in reg. Otherwise, only hard-coded indices
may be allowed.

But I'm worried that people will see reg-names and assume they can put
entries in arbitrary order...