RE: Userspace event handling and header files

Lars-Peter Clausen wrote on 2011-10-21:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I tried to write a small userspace iio event monitor in the style of
> evtest. Right now we have four header files for iio: iio_core.h iio.h
> chrdev.h and sysfs.h. To be able to receive and probably decode events
> in userspace we need three of theses headers: chrdev.h for ioctls and
> the iio_event_data struct, sysfs.h for the different iio_event enums and
> associated macros, iio.h for the iio_chan_type and iio_modifier enums.
>
> Since we probably don't want to export the sysfs.h and chrdev.h headers
> to userspace I propose that we move everything which is needed for
> external API into a common header for example iio.h and move all
> internal API, which is only required to write a IIO driver for by the
> core itself, from the iio.h header to a different header like iio_core.h.
>
> What is your opinion on this?

I think we should also convince Greg to allow staging IIO includes in
include/linux/staging/iio.
Only this would allow us to write maintainable user space code.

Greetings,
Michael

--
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Muenchen; Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 40368;