HD filesystem integrity issues

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/dmsgAZBHD201401.txt is dmesg from a STB running 2.6.15-sigma MIPS. In it I noticed the run e2fsck recommendation for (SATA "1.2TB") hdb1, so attempted to umount it and do just that, as the last time done would have been in excess of 3 months ago. Before doing so, I decided to e2fsck another HD available via USB 2.0 as "2TB" sda1, which began thus via telnet while the STB was "asleep":

$ e2fsck /dev/sda1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
<volumelabel> was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Reading 1 blocks starting at 1027
Reading 1 blocks starting at 1288...
and ended thus:
Reading 1 blocks starting at 343
Killed
$

I was able to discover nothing to indicate what precipitated the kill. I proceeded to umount hdb1, and then:

$ e2fsck /dev/hdb1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Killed
$

Again I found nothing to indicate what precipitated the kill.

I speculate this may have something to do with hardware and/or configuration limitation(s). The sketchy manual written in English by an obviously non-native English writer/speaker claims an internal HD size limitation of 1TB. 1TB is the apparent maximum size the device is able to self-prepare for use on physical HT installation (1:partition; and 2:install ext2 filesystem).

I tested the STB briefly when new with a 1TB before installing a 2TB HD prepared on a Linux PC with a "full" (starting @S2048) device ext2 partition. I used it probably some months before deciding the 1TB limit might have some real justification, removed it, and installed a 1TB. I used the 1TB for quite some time before freespace began to drop under 5%, upon which I decided to try a size in between 1TB and 2TB. 10 months ago on a 1.5TB Samsung HD155UI (aka Seagate Green ST1500DL004; not sure whether 512e but I think yes) I created 2 partitions, one 1.2TB ext2, and the remainder type ext2, but without installing any filesystem on it. This is the 1.2TB hdb1 for which the second Killed appeared.

I removed the 1.5TB "hdb" from the STB and attached it via eSATA to a Linux PC to try again e2fsck, with the following result:
# e2fsck -v /dev/sdb1
e2fsck 1.42.6 (21-Sept-2012)
<volumelabel> was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
Error reading block 12419091 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.
 Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 3A: Optimizing directories
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

<volumelabel>: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

339 inodes used (0.00%, out of 80535552)
2 non-contiguous files(0.6%)
0 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
# of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 288/285/121
300564929 blocks used (93.31%, out of 322122496)
        0 bad blocks
      276 large files
      314 regular files
       15 directories
        0 character device files
        0 block device files
        0 fifos
        0 links
        1 symbolic link (1 fast symbolic link)
        0 sockets
----------
      330 files
#

I've now restored the 1.5TB HD to the STB.
$ uname -a
Linux AZBox 2.6.15-sigma #138 PREEMPT Thu Jan 22 21:35:07 KST 2009 mips unknown
$ free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       100484        96360         4124            0         1520
 Swap:            0            0            0

Googling "Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read" produced a lot of hits, of which little seemed to be of any use. The e2fsck man page seems rather unhelpful as well. The STB has a rather rudimentary toolset in the form of busybox v1.00, producing a lot of command not founds trying to perform shell tasks common on a Linux PC (e.g. smart, shutdown, tune2fs), and its command history does not survive reboots. Neither /boot nor /proc/config* exist.

1-Is my 1.2TB partition now most likely OK?

2-Is the meager 100484 of total RAM available to the 2.6.15 kernel likely the reason or heavily related to the manual's 1TB size "limit"?

3-Is the meager 100484 of total RAM likely the reason for the e2fsck kills?

4-Any suggestions?

5-Is this the wrong place to have asked all this? If so, where better?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/