Re: HD filesystem integrity issues

On 01/01/2014 04:43 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/dmsgAZBHD201401.txt is dmesg from a STB
running 2.6.15-sigma MIPS. In it I noticed the run e2fsck recommendation
for (SATA "1.2TB") hdb1, so attempted to umount it and do just that, as
the last time done would have been in excess of 3 months ago. Before
doing so, I decided to e2fsck another HD available via USB 2.0 as "2TB"
sda1, which began thus via telnet while the STB was "asleep":

$ e2fsck /dev/sda1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
e2fsck: Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
<volumelabel> was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Reading 1 blocks starting at 1027
Reading 1 blocks starting at 1288...
and ended thus:
Reading 1 blocks starting at 343
Killed
$

Have you checked the dmesg output? There would likely be some indication of what happened. Given that this thing only has 100MB or so of memory, it seems quite likely that the out-of-memory killer kicked in.

This isn't really related to linux-ide, the main Linux kernel mailing list would likely be more suitable.

I was able to discover nothing to indicate what precipitated the kill. I
proceeded to umount hdb1, and then:

$ e2fsck /dev/hdb1
e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
Killed
$

Again I found nothing to indicate what precipitated the kill.

I speculate this may have something to do with hardware and/or
configuration limitation(s). The sketchy manual written in English by an
obviously non-native English writer/speaker claims an internal HD size
limitation of 1TB. 1TB is the apparent maximum size the device is able
to self-prepare for use on physical HT installation (1:partition; and
2:install ext2 filesystem).

I tested the STB briefly when new with a 1TB before installing a 2TB HD
prepared on a Linux PC with a "full" (starting @S2048) device ext2
partition. I used it probably some months before deciding the 1TB limit
might have some real justification, removed it, and installed a 1TB. I
used the 1TB for quite some time before freespace began to drop under
5%, upon which I decided to try a size in between 1TB and 2TB. 10 months
ago on a 1.5TB Samsung HD155UI (aka Seagate Green ST1500DL004; not sure
whether 512e but I think yes) I created 2 partitions, one 1.2TB ext2,
and the remainder type ext2, but without installing any filesystem on
it. This is the 1.2TB hdb1 for which the second Killed appeared.

I removed the 1.5TB "hdb" from the STB and attached it via eSATA to a
Linux PC to try again e2fsck, with the following result:
# e2fsck -v /dev/sdb1
e2fsck 1.42.6 (21-Sept-2012)
<volumelabel> was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
Error reading block 12419091 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.
  Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 3A: Optimizing directories
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

<volumelabel>: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

339 inodes used (0.00%, out of 80535552)
2 non-contiguous files(0.6%)
0 non-contiguous directories (0.0%)
# of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 288/285/121
300564929 blocks used (93.31%, out of 322122496)
         0 bad blocks
       276 large files
       314 regular files
        15 directories
         0 character device files
         0 block device files
         0 fifos
         0 links
         1 symbolic link (1 fast symbolic link)
         0 sockets
----------
       330 files
#

I've now restored the 1.5TB HD to the STB.
$ uname -a
Linux AZBox 2.6.15-sigma #138 PREEMPT Thu Jan 22 21:35:07 KST 2009 mips
unknown
$ free
               total         used         free       shared      buffers
   Mem:       100484        96360         4124            0         1520
  Swap:            0            0            0

Googling "Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read"
produced a lot of hits, of which little seemed to be of any use. The
e2fsck man page seems rather unhelpful as well. The STB has a rather
rudimentary toolset in the form of busybox v1.00, producing a lot of
command not founds trying to perform shell tasks common on a Linux PC
(e.g. smart, shutdown, tune2fs), and its command history does not
survive reboots. Neither /boot nor /proc/config* exist.

1-Is my 1.2TB partition now most likely OK?

2-Is the meager 100484 of total RAM available to the 2.6.15 kernel
likely the reason or heavily related to the manual's 1TB size "limit"?

3-Is the meager 100484 of total RAM likely the reason for the e2fsck kills?

4-Any suggestions?

5-Is this the wrong place to have asked all this? If so, where better?