Re: SATA driver sata_sil24

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 05:15:42AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=320473532811
>
> Won't let me view it without signing in.  And I don't have an Ebay UK
> account. :(

sorry about that.. This is the text of the advert:

ADVERT:The PCI to PCI Express Adapter card lets you use low profile PCIe expansion cards in a server/desktop motherboard PCI slot.
ADVERT:The adapter connects through a 32-bit PCI slot to provide a low profile PCIe x1 slot in its place; a spare, full size bracket is
ADVERT: included for installation in larger desktop or server expansion slots that can accomodate a full-sized card.
ADVERT:
ADVERT:The PCI to PCI Express Adapter features an innovative bracket design that adapts and secures the low profile PCI Express card
ADVERT:into the converted slot, ensuring a versatile and economical solution for extending the usability of older PCI motherboards or using
ADVERT:low profile PCIe cards that do not have PCI equivalents.
ADVERT:
ADVERT:Features
ADVERT:
ADVERT:â?¢      Innovative Bracket Design Adapts and Secures the Existing Low Profile Bracket of the PCI Card
ADVERT:â?¢      Compliant with PCI-to-PCIe Bridge Architecture spec Revision 1.2
ADVERT:â?¢      Compliant with PCI BUS Power Management Rev 1.1
ADVERT:â?¢      Compliant with PCI Express to PCI/PCI-X Bridge spec 1.0
ADVERT:â?¢      PCI Express base spec 1.0a compliant
ADVERT:â?¢      Compliant with PCI spec Revision 2.3
ADVERT:â?¢      No Drivers or software required
ADVERT:
ADVERT:
ADVERT:Broad operating system support including device drivers for
ADVERT:
ADVERT: Windows® 2000, Windows® XP(32/64)
ADVERT:
ADVERT: Windows® Vista(32/64), Win7 (32/64)
ADVERT:
ADVERT:
ADVERT:Accessories:
ADVERT:
ADVERT:1 x Manual

> Does the adapter convert a PCIe slot into a PCI slot or the other way round?

other way round, it slots in to a PCI 32 bit slot -- has both 3.3 and 5v notches --
and provides a PCI-e x1 slot. Low profile PCI-e cards sit in it making the two cards
take up a full height card space.

> > The sata card has no real distinguishing features except the chip used - SI 3531.
>
> No sticker on the back?  No manufacturer name or code anywhere on the PCB?

Here is what I can see etched on the PCB - I don't know if this helps much:

EX-75-326G
20062507_V1.0

There is a sticker on the back: Q0907Sil3531A

This is the bundle that it came with, but it doesn't really tell you much:

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B139009

> It makes it difficult to track down problem reports on the web without
> knowing who made the cards and which models they are...
>
> Some manufacturers are known for putting out shoddy gear, or marginally
> compatible gear.

Lacking enough spare parts, it is difficult for me to point the finger at the card
as it could well be the machine it was plugged in to. I will in the coming days buy
a replacement server that should provide another reference point, but I do suspect
the fault is with my old server.

thanks for your help,

Richard

--