Re: SATA driver sata_sil24

Tejun,

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:09:00PM +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> > I'm having difficulty with the system locking up as I load the module,
> > and I wondered whether this chip has been seen to actually work with
> > this driver? Perhaps there is a good reason for not mentioning this
> > chipset in the discription?
>
> Yeap, they should work.  They're just different flavors of about the
> same chip.  How does it lock up?  Which kernel version?  Does the
> kernel complain about anything?

Initially this was a problem on debian testing 2.6.26-2-xen-686 and I didn't
investigate any more than to blacklist the module. The symptom with this was
that the keyboard was unresponsive.

I've briefly tried debian unstable's 2.6.32-4-xen-686.
All I tried was manually loading the module in single user mode. This printed
to the console a line including the PCI slot occupied by the card, then seemed
to be hung. The keyboard was still responsive (ctl-c would display ^C on the
console for example, but it was stuck in kernel space at a guess so the signal
wasn't delivered?) -- I then gave up. I didn't look at dmesg as I was in single
user mode and couldn't easily.

As you suggest that this should work, I will persist and see if I can find out
the problem. I wanted to avoid flogging a dead horse..

If you have any suggestions as to what the likely problem is, or things to look
for I am all ears.

regards,

Richard