Re: PATA port not detected when using AHCI on Intel 82801GB/GR/GH

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 00:30:58 +0100
infernix <infernix@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> It's been a while because I got a bad set of hard disks to start testing
> with, but I'm all set now that I've got new ones. Both the PATA port
> with the IDE DOM as well as all the SATA ports are recognised and
> working now.
>
> PATA_LEGACY Depends on: ATA [=y] && ATA_SFF [=y] && ISA [=n] &&
> EXPERIMENTAL [=y]                                            │
>
> To make it work, PATA_LEGACY needs to have the ISA dependancy removed
> (at least on x86_64). Not sure if that's been committed by anyone yet.

I have it pending - but its not urgent so with a release pending isn't
going to get pushed in a hurry.

Beyond that I've dug into it with another owner of the same board - the
BIOS has hidden the device. Unfortunately the documentation for the
chipset is quite explicit that while you can hide devices you cannot then
unhide them again.

It might be possible to do something by booting the system in compatible
mode and beating the controller into AHCI + PATA mode but really what is
needed is a BIOS fix.

Alan