Re: PATA port not detected when using AHCI on Intel 82801GB/GR/GH

On 01/21/2010 09:37 PM, infernix wrote:
Hi,

I've got an Intel SS4200(-ESW) here which according to lspci has an
Intel 82801GB/GR/GH controller. It has 4 sata ports + 1 pata port in
which i have a 4GB IDE flash DOM. It also has a SIL 3132 for 2 external
eSATA ports. There are no disks connected to any of the SATA ports.

The bios allows for two modes:

- Compatible mode, which makes the kernel use ata_piix. lspci shows that
the chipset uses pci id 8086:27c0.

- Enhanced mode (with sub options IDE, RAID or AHCI - using AHCI here),
which of course makes the kernel use ahci. lspci shows the the chipset
now uses pci id 8086:27c1.

In compatible mode, the bios can be configured to make the pata
controller the first and the sata controller the second controller under
ata_piix. This works and I can boot off the IDE in the PATA DOM without
issues. The DOM works fine under ata_piix as /dev/sda.

The problem is with the Enhanced mode with the sub mode set to AHCI (or
IDE for that matter, it didn't change anything). In Enhanced AHCI mode,
the SATA ports are detected just fine, but the PATA port is not
detected. As I'm using an IDE DOM as root device, I can't boot in AHCI
mode.

What's weird though is that if I enable the old IDE PIIX driver, the
PATA port does get detected and the DOM shows up as /dev/hda. But
performance is abysmal, and since this is now deprecated we should try
to get the PATA port working while in Enhanced AHCI mode.

Running in compatible mode is not an option because this allows me to
chose PATA for controller 0 and SATA for controller 1, but as a
consequence i lose 2 sata ports as can be seen in the dmesg output. Or I
could set it to full SATA but then the PATA port is rendered useless.

If the board has PATA ports driven off the chipset, then in AHCI mode you should get two devices showing up, one AHCI controller for the SATA ports and one IDE controller for the PATA ports which ata_piix should drive. Is that not happening on this board?