Re: storage fixup laptop model dependent ?

On 12/20/2009 10:34 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
(cc'ing Kay and Lennart.  Hello.)

This thread was discussing about drives which unload heads too
frequently.  These problems happen mostly on laptops.  Either mobile
HDDs default to too aggressive power saving or laptop firmware
configures them that way.  Anyways, some drives end up unoading and
reloading the head more quite a few times per minute.

Mobile drives tend to have higher load cycle limits than desktop ones
and this information can be found from drive specs published on vendor
websites.  Most modern mobile ones seem to be rated for 600,000
cycles.  Unfortunately, with 5 unloads per minute, the drive will
reach its rated limit only after 83 days of uptime.  IOW, if you use
the machine 8hrs per day, it will expire before one year has passed.

Very short unload timeout is inherently dangerous as idle IO patterns
can differ depending on a lot of things and these rapid load/unload
cycles can happen under various different configurations (it happens
under windows too).  When this problem first appeared, I thought
vendors would realize the danger and it would go away sooner or later.

Expecting it to be a temporary problem, I wrote up a simple script
named storage-fixup which matches the system and harddrive model and
issues safe powersave configuration.  This is a crude and sub-optimal
solution which doesn't scale too well.  Many of those configurations
wouldn't require such APM adjustments and a lot of configurations
where APM re-configuration is required are out there killing their
drives.

A proper solution would be....

* Build database of load cycle limits and useable APM values on drive
   models.  The former shouldn't be difficult.  Each vendor carries
   only a few product lines at any given time and publish datasheets on
   the webpage.  Plus, all the mobile drives I've seen are rated for
   600,000 cycles.  The latter may be a bit more tricky.  Depending on
   drive model, certain APM values simply don't work (e.g. 255 means
   max power by spec but some firmwares wrap the value and recognize it
   as min power), some values overheats the device and so on.  In most
   cases the value 254 seems safe tho.  storage-fixup.conf should be
   useable as the source for useable values, I think.

* Monitor load cycle count by smart commands and if it continues to
   increase at an excessive rate (e.g. such that it reduces uptime to
   under a year), warn the user and configure higher APM value.

As this problem mostly happens on laptops, I think it's probably best
to handle this from the new desktop disk management thing so that the
user can be warned.  Do you think it's feasible to handle this from
devkit?

I think that would be a good approach if we can do it. The situation definitely isn't ideal though. Has anyone approached any of the laptop manufacturers or drive manufacturers regarding this problem? I suspect there's probably a lack of awareness about it. (Though it could just be that Windows usually accesses the drive so often that it just never really reaches the unload timeouts..)