Re: storage fixup laptop model dependent ?

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 12/14/2009 09:29 PM, Xavier wrote:
>>> I am just wondering : does it really matter in which laptop that disk
>>> is used ? As laptop disk can be changed/replaced easily, this also
>>> sounds strange to me, but there might be a good reason I am missing :)
>
> OEMs sometimes load specialized firmwares to drives and BIOS may
> configure APM differently according to drive model, so it kind of
> matters.

Ah ok, good to know.

>> Was it the right place for this information ?
>> I added the two people who committed to storage-fixup git, just in case.
>
> storage-fixup is at best a stop-gap measure until something better and
> more intelligent comes along.  It might be able to serve as
> documentation later on too.  I don't think it would be wise to
> configure APM to certain value after matching only the drive model.
> That's too wide.  A good solution would be...
>
> * Build database of load cycle limits and useable APM values on drive
>  models.
>
> * Monitor load cycle count by smart commands and if it continues to
>  increase at an excessive rate, warn the user and configure higher
>  APM value.

Yes, that sounds quite good and reasonable to me.

> If you replaced the drive yourself, putting hdparm command in one of
> boot scripts should do it for now.  :-(

Well for now, I just edited storage-fixup.conf [1] but I could indeed
just run hdparm directly.

Since this is not the original disk, you think it does not deserve
being in upstream storage-fixup.conf as an additional rule [2] ?
Note that the original disk was under warranty and that the new wd
drive was shipped by dell.

[1]
rule dell-xps-m1530
dmi system-manufacturer		Dell Inc.