Re: Need help understanding SATA error message.

Tomas Lund wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Mark Lord wrote:

Mmm.. the one Tomas Lund has is on what appears to be AHCI (ICH9R).

Yes, indeed:

# lspci -v -nn -s 00:1f.2
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2922] (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Unknown device [15d9:d180]
..
(dmesg output available at http://tlund.pp.se/envy4_dmesg.txt)

Tomas, if you move the "problem drive" to another port, does the error follow the drive, or stay with the same port?
..
Yes, the drive has already been moved, and the problem did indeed move with the drive. However, I am currently stressing the drives by copying large amounts of files, in paralel sessions, and issuing "sync" every 30 seconds, and I have not seen the error since Mar 28 18:17 (current time here is Apr 1 09:10).

The system does not have any data on it yet, and I am not really in a hurry to get it into production. Willing to try anything to track this problem down.
..

Mmm.. I suppose the thing to do, is to move it back to the port it was
on when it failed, if you haven't already done that.

If things continue to go well there now, it would not be unreasonable
to perhaps assume that a flaky cable connection was the culprit,
and that simply rearranging the drives/cables produced a better connection.

But I do really dislike pushing things aside without being 100% sure.  :(