Re: Need help understanding SATA error message.

Mark Lord wrote:
The response to an unrecoverable sector shouldn't be 51/04 if the
flush fails, it should be 51/10 or 51/40.

51/04 would be the response if the FLUSH CACHE command was issued when
there were still outstanding NCQ commands active.
..

Tejun:  I see we have another thread as well with FLUSH errors.
I really doubt that these are bad drives.
There's very likely a bug in libata / LLD there someplace.

Possibly. The only thing I can think of which can screw FLUSH is issuing it when NCQ phase is still in progress as was in the case for ADMA. FLUSH being a non-data command, it's pretty difficult to get it wrong otherwise. The thing is that sata_sil24 does its own command sequencing and even if libata slips there a bit, the silicon won't issue FLUSH if NCQ is in progress, so I'm a bit skeptical. Any other ideas?

--
tejun