Re: sata_sil24 stability and performance

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0008 002 001 000 Old_age line - 798

Denys,
I did a smartctl check on 12 disks in 5 differrent servers (usually
pairs of disks sw mirrorred), and all of those - except one - had
0-s at UDMA_CRC_Error_Count.
Only one had 16 in it, this one is SAMSUNG HD300LD installed
at 2006.09.12, running 24/7, so its uptime is about 13200 hours.
However, it's pair (same disk, same uptime) have 0, which makes
me think, that it is not motherboard/controller, but cable or HDD.
(wiki says, it is: "The number of errors in data transfer via the interface
cable as determined by ICRC (Interface Cyclic Redundancy Check)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology )

Is that value is growing at your server?

+

Related to my original issue (exception / hard resetting link), which later
Denys also experienced and countinued on this thread, my current status
is, that
1) I received mail from other guy, he wrote:
I have a similar problem with an N680SLI, as posted here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-641372-highlight-.html
Short version - 2.6.22 seems stable, anything later, unstable.
Since exhibiting the problem takes days, weeks or even months,
he can't know more, promised to write to list if he finds out anything.

2)  I replaced the MB to a different one, now it is a Gigabyte as
well, but it has no nvidia/jmicron contollers but ata_piix and achi
onboard, and - ironically - an addon sil24 card...
So far, the system running well [knock-knock], under heavy
stress test, for 3 weeks now, without problems.
I believe Tejun suggested to try to remove one of the HDD-s
online to see what happens, I will try this today later on, when
I am at the server and let you know.

(for those who need refreshment, my initial thread was on
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg15950.html
and it continued on
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/8633679.html my latest mail on this topic is at: http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/8718520.html )G.