Re: Trouble with hdparm -d on Dell D610

On 1/11/08, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My concern with disabling the new drivers is as follows: I use this
> > linux kernel and config image to boot machines over PXE and call a
> > shred program on each of the harddrives.  If I turn off CONFIG_ATA,
> > will this limit my ability to support various new IDE and SATA drives
> > for running shred?  So far, the configuration I have works well with
>
> Yes. In that case you can build without CONFIG_IDE_PIIX and with the
> CONFIG_ATA_PIIX driver and you should be fine too (but your disk will
> move to /dev/sda on that box). The PIIX is an awkward case as in some
> modes it combines both the SATA and PATA onto one 'device'.

In looking through my config file, I don't see "CONFIG_IDE_PIIX".
Below is a list of all the config entries that contain the patter
"PIIX":
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y

Any suggestions on how I may turn of the conflicting piix support?
Perhaps set CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX to n?

Thank you!

--
Kristin Vadas Marsicano