Re: Trouble with hdparm -d on Dell D610

> My concern with disabling the new drivers is as follows: I use this
> linux kernel and config image to boot machines over PXE and call a
> shred program on each of the harddrives.  If I turn off CONFIG_ATA,
> will this limit my ability to support various new IDE and SATA drives
> for running shred?  So far, the configuration I have works well with

Yes. In that case you can build without CONFIG_IDE_PIIX and with the
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX driver and you should be fine too (but your disk will
move to /dev/sda on that box). The PIIX is an awkward case as in some
modes it combines both the SATA and PATA onto one 'device'.

> most of the machines I encounter  (and with both SATA and IDE drives),
> except for the Dell D610 and HP 7700 (small desktop pc).  The models I
> just mentioned run the shred really slow, which I believe is due to
> the DMA problem I was having (outlined in my previous emails).  Any
> thoughts?

If your shred program is relying on DMA then you are using the wrong tool
for the job. The correct way to erase a disk is to send it a security
erase command. Rewriting over the data may not do what is wanted.
-