SATAII150 TX4 Disk ordering (Was: Promise SATAII150 TX4: strange disk ordering)

Hello. I have stumbled upon the problem described more than a year ago
in http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01743.html
It manifested itself in a very unpleasant way while trying to sort out a
damaged GRUB installation. As GRUB relies on BIOS device numbering
rather than linux kernel device numbering (there is no kernel at that
stage) writing a manual boot stanza took a number of trial and errors. I
just wanted to drop my 2 cents by pointing a use case when this mismatch
is a real pain. The above URL was the only info I was able to find on
google, so I assume no further work has been done on this.
This is a non-production system so I can help with any tests necessary
to get the ordering right, if anyone decides to work on the driver.

Thanks

Peter
-