hda on Via Epia-ML motherboard seen on 2.6.18, but not 2.6.19

	I have a 666MHz Via Epia-ML motherboard (using a Via Eden, I
think).  I am booting it from a CompactFlash card attached by an
IDE-CF adapter.  Everything works fine under 2.6.18.  Under 2.6.19,
2.6.19.1 and 2.6.20-rc1, the master device on ide0 is not seen.

	With all of the kernels, good and bad, I see approximately the
following two lines after the via82cxxx module loads:

ide0: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-dc07, BIOS settings:hda: DMA, hdb: pio
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-dc0f, BIOS settings:hdc: pio, hdd: pio

	Under 2.6.18 and before, I also a line like this shortly
thereafter, which is absent under 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.20-rc1.

hda: TRANSCEND, CFA disk drive

	After that, the ide-disk module sees hda as a hard disk under
2.6.18, and does not see the device under 2.6.19 and later.

	2.6.19 and later see the hard disk if I have it connected to
the ide1 cable (that is, as hdc) instead of ide0.  In that case, I
have tried booting with the flash disk as hdc and a CD-ROM as hda, and
the result is that the CD-ROM in hda is not seen.

	I have another computer, with a much faster CPU, that also
uses the via82cxxx module for IDE, using the same kernel and module
binaries, which does see a flash card attached as ide0 master under
all of these kernel versions.

	I know that there is plenty more that I can do to narrow this
problem myself, such as narrowing the problem to intermediate kernel
versions, trying libata + via_pata instead, and other things, but I am
reporting it now in case anyone else is already aware of the problem,
as I've already been fiddling with it on and off for a few days.  If
nobody has anything to add about this, then I'll post follow-ups as a
narrow or resolve it.

Adam Richter
-