Re: Scary Intel SATA problem: "frozen"

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Alan wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:31:51 -0800 (PST)
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >  I just had a scary thing on my nice new Intel i965 box (all Intel
> > chipsets apart from some strange Marvell IDE interface that I'm not using
> > and that no driver even detected, and a TI firewire thing that I'm
>
> Mr Morton has the Marvell libata driver in his tree waiting to head your
> way.

Well, I don't actually personally want it (I have nothing connected to it,
nor any intention of connecting anything in the future), I just want my
bog-standard PIIX driver to not do the scary things to me.

	"Mommy, mommy, the IDE messages/behaviour is scaring me!"

I just mentioned the Marvell chip because apart from those two (unused)
chips, the box is absolutely and utterly bog-standard Intel-everything.
The i965 may still be somewhat unusual right now, but that's going to
change, and if there's something strange going on, we should try to fix it
asap.

It could be a one-off thing (knock wood), but on the other hand, I've only
been using this machine for a couple of weeks now, and I can't remember
seeing anything even remotely similar on my other machines (including the
earlier-generation i945 SATA setup that I've had a lot longer). So I worry
that it's something i965-specific, and that will be a _very_ common
chipset soon enough.

One data-point that may or may not be relevant: the afore-mentioned i945
machine that I've had longer is otherwise reasonably similar, but the DVD
drive on that one is in legacy mode. Not that I see why it should matter
(the problem happened on the harddisk, not the DVD)...

		Linus
-