Re: Libata-tj-stable patch /w sil3124 and PMP... 'device or resource busy'

Eric Windisch wrote:
The exclusive refs held above are never released. Thus the kernel correctly denies any other exclusive access to the devices. dm is holding them all. I have never used dm so don't know much about it. It seems that you'll have to make dm ignore those SCSI disks if you wanna use them for any other purpose.

I've never used it either, at least not directly.  Whatever it is doing
is automatic.  However, you're right, I'm sorry for bringing up someone
else's bug -- if nothing else, its good google fodder ;-)  So far, its
looking to me like a bug in Ubuntu Dapper.

Maybe you're supposed to use all disks via dm, which actually makes sense. Direct partitions on disks are pretty lame way to manage disks these days although I've never used anything else. :-p

I haven't yet figured out
how to tell Ubuntu to leave my devices alone (yes, I looked at udev),
but at least I can get my disks working!

$ dmsetup remove sde1
root@san001:~# mkfs.ext3 -m1 /dev/sde1 2>/dev/null >/dev/null && echo 1
1

Great.