Re: Infinite loop on MODE-SENSE with a removable ATAPI sata device on VIA chipset

Dario Oliva wrote:
> Albert Lee wrote:
>
>> Dario Oliva wrote:

>>> Sorry it took so long to get you the information. In case you need me to
>>> refresh the information here is the body of the original email I had
>>> sent out.
>>>
>>> "We have a removable, ATAPI, SATA device and we are having the following
>>> problem with Linux (kernel version 2.6.15.6). The device recieves a MODE
>>> SENSE command. After receiving this command, it is supposed to receive a
>>> 12-byte packet command, which it recieves. Afterwards there is supposed
>>> to be an IRQ, and then the data is read from the device. However, in one
>>> computer we have with a VIA chipset, the device keeps getting zeroes
>>> without stopping. In other words, it gets the 12-bytes and the continues
>>> to recive bytes all of which are zero. The device never gets the IRQ,
>>> therefore it does not respond."
>>>

>> Hi Dario,
>>
>> Could you please try the new 2.6.17-rc6 kernel? The "flush" after sending
>> the ATAPI CDB, etc. has been added to 2.6.17-rcX and it might help to
>> your sata_via problem.
>>

> The 2.6.17-rc6 kernel no longer hangs/loops infinitely on MODE-SENSE.
> But I have another problem. This time is on writes. A hardware engineer
> used a protocol analyzer and this is how he describes it
>
> When we write to the ATAPI advice an ODD number of blocks, for example
> 33 blocks, the data transfer goes as follows:
>

>                        1. Transfer of 8192 bytes (16 blocks)
>
>                        2. Transfer of 8192 bytes (16 blocks)
>
>                        3. Last transfer of 536 bytes.  (1 block and 24
> bytes)
>

> The last transfer should be 512 (1 block) and not 536. (There are 24
> extra bytes).
>
> The device (Quantum GoVault) hung up since they are not expecting the
> extra data.
>
> Testing the same kernel with a computer without the VIA chipset that
> problem do not exist.

The GoVault drives implement the obsolete "CDB interrupts".
(Don't why Quantum implements the CDB interrupts on a native SATA drive...)

If possible, could you please try the "upstream" branch of Jeff's
libata-dev tree. It should fix the problem of GoVault.

Or, if you can wait, the 2.6.18 libata will have the patch for the
"CDB interrupts".

--
albert

-