Re: [RFT] major libata update

Eric D. Mudama wrote:

On 5/16/06, Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ric Wheeler wrote:
> But when I test with my synchronous write load, I am going at 6 times
> the normal rate (i.e., the rate I see with barriers disabled) ;-)

Well, NCQ read/write commands have a 'FUA' bit...  though maybe the NCQ
code forgot to check the global libata_fua.

        Jeff

Is the workload a sequential write?  SATA drives should be able to
keep up with the media if they use FUA for their consistency when
using NCQ.

Flush cache as a barrier mechanism will blow revs in sequential
workloads, especially using a write/flush write/flush technique.

That would be a huge win for us, but this instance I mounted with barrier=flush (and that is the logged message in messages). I suspect that our boot with write cache disabled + flip of the write cache to on during boot is the culprit...

Once we get past the basic working/not working barriers, I will retest the FUA vs flush barriers and post some results ;-)

ric

-
: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in