i2c i801 Host Notify breaks HP G3 850 booting while plugged in

Hi,

This is a weird one.  I bisected it down to commit
7b0ed334b8468dccd3340778bd04c0a8be46b81d ("i2c: i801: add support of
Host Notify")

With the above commit, my HP G3 850 laptop fails to boot after power
off and while plugged in.  Unplugged, it does not seem to be affected
and boots fine.  Rebooting does not hang.

The boot hang has been observed with:
Grub 2 graphical boot (OpenXT w/ grub.cfg insmod gfxterm & insmod vbe)
Intel Boot Agent PXE Network boot. Hit F12

Working boot configurations:
Grub 2 bios in text mode (OpenXT)
Grub 2 efi boot (Fedora text mode)

The Boot Agent hang prints "Client Mac Addr 00-11-22-33-44-55<cursor>"
and hangs.  A normal boot prints a GUID on the same line and
continues.

Grub 2 graphical boot (OpenXT) changes to a garbled display and hangs.
The display shows a thin strip of Black along the top of the screen
and random-seeming colors throughout the rest of the screen.

Setting disable_features=0x20 lets the machine boot and cold boot
normally, provided the weird state from a previous boot is cleared.

To clear the weird state, I go into Bios Setup, hit right 3 times, and
then escape to exit discarding all changes.  There may be other ways,
but this is a consistent means I've found to get the machine to boot.
Booting unplugging is another way to clear the weird state.

When the boot hangs, a quick press of the power button will sometimes
power off the machine - the weird state persists when this happens.
Other times you need to long press to power off, and in that case the
weird state is cleared.

Short of a BIOS fix, could we blacklist Host Notify on known-bad
machines?  Does other functionality break if Host Notify is disabled?
I don't know what Host Notify is used for, if anything, on these
laptops.

This HP forum posted pointed me at plugged vs unplugged condition:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/acpi-error-with-linux/m-p/6114933/highlight/true#M486110
 I had been leaving the machine plugged in, so I didn't think to try
it unplugged.  I think the post was made by an Arch Linux developer
(same handle), so I've CC-ed him... thought you might be interested.

Regards,
Jason