Re: i2c i801 Host Notify breaks HP G3 850 booting while plugged in

Hi Jason,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 13:30:28 -0400, Jason Andryuk wrote:
> Short of a BIOS fix, could we blacklist Host Notify on known-bad
> machines?  Does other functionality break if Host Notify is disabled?
> I don't know what Host Notify is used for, if anything, on these
> laptops.

As far as I know, the only use case for Host Notify on i2c-i801 is the
touchpad on certain laptop models. If the touchpad still works OK after
disabling Host Notify, I guess you are good.

I'm fine with blacklisting, at least until the bug is understood and
fixed.

Out of curiosity, does the bug still happen if i2c-i801 is built as a
module?

If it does, then one thing you could test is to boot with
i2c_i801.disable_features=0x20, then rmmod i2c-i801 and load it again
but without disable_features=0x20. If it still hangs then at least you
would have a running system to diagnose the problem. If we knew where
it hangs when maybe we could come up with a fix or at least workaround.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support