Re: i2c: slave support framework improvements

On 2016-08-16 14:12, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> If you really have a separate device on the bus with the same address
>> that you want to add slave support for, then there really is a conflict,
>> and the kernel knows it.
>
> We still have a disagreement about "the kernel knows it". The kernel
> knows it only in one case, i.e. when you are able to describe all
> devices on the bus.
>
> What about this compromise: We keep the current scheme, but print a
> warning when the kernel notices a slave device has the same address
> which is already claimed by a client driver. This will let most users
> know about the conflict but it will not hurt the debugging-via-loopback
> case, since people know what they are doing and will happily ignore it.
>
> If you can agree to that, I'll cook up a patch later this week.

Hmm, maybe add a "slave loopback quirk" to adapters that allows this,
and forbid it if the quirk isn't present?

(or use whatever flag is appropriate, if quirks do not fit)

And/or require some kind of loopback flag when adding a client driver
that is supported via loopback to a slave driver.

Note, I do not feel strongly about this at all, I'm mainly trying to
understand what's going on. Now I do understand, and do not desperately
seek changes. It just looked fishy, that's all...

Cheers,
Peter