Re: i2c: slave support framework improvements

> What I mean is that it is possible to have an i2c bus with some random
> i2c device at e.g. address 0x48, say some eeprom, and then register to
> be a slave device also at address 0x48, e.g. slave-24c02. If there is
> another master on the bus, it cannot sanely use any of these two devices
> at i2c address 0x48 since there is an address conflict.

That is an address conflict, yes. Even for a single-master system. You
need to make sure your slave address is unique on the bus. The kernel
can't really help you with that, because it could only detect address
conflicts if a driver would be attached to a device. If there is no
driver and all communication is done via i2c-dev, for example, then
I can't see a way to detect this.

> Or am I misunderstanding something? In my mind i2c slave support is
> the equivalent of usb gadget support, is it something else?

No, you are correct.