Re: [GIT PULL] Orangefs (text only resend)

Hi Linus,

sorry, I've been away from mail for a few days.

I've been pretty happy with the code when I looked over it, which
was a while ago.

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 04:34:41PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>    (a) the iovecs are walked manually (eg
> pvfs_bufmap_copy_to_user_iovec()). I would really want to see the code
> use the iov_iter infrastructure

And that was before we had the full blown iov_iter code.  Note that
orangefs always does O_DIRECT-style I/O and doesn't go through the
page cache or does any other similar client side caching except for mmap,
so it will only use the low-level iov_iter helpers.

>  - naming is an odd mix of "orangefs" and "pvfs2", both in the code
> and in the filenames.

I found this a bit odd to - pvfs2 was the original version and now
Clemson has done orangefs based on it.  Mike might have more comments
on why he wants to keep both names.

> I'd also like to have more of an idea of who expects to maintain this?
> I'm assuming that's Mark (and omnibond?), but it would be good to hear
> who the users are and what the long-term support is supposed to be. We
> have had a tradition of filesystems that don't then get used very
> much, and they bit-rot.

PVFS2 has been around forever, and orangefs for quite a while.  I know
Mike has been working on getting this in shape for a couple years, and
been good at fixing review feedback.