Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> David H. Lynch Jr wrote:
>
> I'm arguing against circular logic:  the claim that one cannot
> determine reiser4's true usefulness unless its in the tree.
>
> The better method is to get a distro to add reiser4, _then_ if it
> proves worthy add it to the kernel tree.
>
> Not the other way around.
    And is that how other filesystems made it into the tree ?
    I am actually trying to be rational about this.
    But if my logic is circular then the above is even more so.
    I am aware of distributions that would incorporate Reiser4 if it was
in the tree, but not really aware of much that works the other way around.
    Besides after eliminating say the top 4 distributions, how is it
that getting included as a burried alternate in an obscure distribution
is going to change
    the total number of existing Reiser4 users to a meaningful extent.
It would be my guess that Reiser4 already has more users than any
filesystem has ever had prior
    to inclusion in the kernel.
    Aside from a few instances where distributors are also contributors,
and a few instances where specific drivers such as gaming video drivers
are in
    extremely high demand, how frequently do drivers go into
distributions before they go into the tree ?
    Is that supposed to be the standard for all drivers ?
    I regularly see drivers with very little in the way of testing go
straight nearly straight into the tree - without even getting tagged as
experimental.

    And what is CONFIG_EXERIMENTAL supposed to be for ?

      All I am asking is that now that Hans is not pissing all over
people that the Reiser4 Filesystem get exactly the same treatment that
    pretty much every other filesystem already in or slated for
inclusion in the kernel has received.

    I am sure that their are others who may have a more accurate
perception of history. But my recollection is that the only filesystem
driver that went through a distribution
    prior to getting into the Kernel was ReiserFS.

    I am not even asking that it get accepted exactly asis - though it
is my perception that despite Hans's pissing and moaning in the end he
made most every change that was asked.
    Regardless, now that you don't have Hans to deal with anymore.
    Give Namesys an honest and reasonable set of requirements to get a
decent review - the same shot any other filesystem would get.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

-