Re: Reiser4. BEST FILESYSTEM EVER.

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Nope, if they are accurate and they have something to do with your
> particular usage and applications, then they are relevant.  But it
> requires both to make them relevant.  Although it may be possible for a
> benchmark to be relevant even if not particularly accurate.
    I do not care about the benchmarks or the compression.
    They are pointless anyway, Reiser4 is not and can not be all things
to all people.
    I do not care how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    Whether it is most suitable for broad use or only narrow cases
remains to seen.

    Hans Reiser is now in jail awaiting trial for the murder of his wife
- I doubt he is going to be posting and stirring things up anytime soon
    Those who need to assurance of their moral superiority can take that
as proof if they need.

    I do care about getting Reiser4 into the kernel so that it can
actually get a real test,
    and frankly do not see any compelling reason that should not happen.

    Their may be better filesystems currently in the kernel - there
certainly are crappier ones.

    I have used ReiserFs extensively, and on the whole been extremely
happy with it.
    I have been slightly singed - a long time ago, but it is certainly
not the only file system that has caused me grief.
    I can not think of an existing Linux (or other) filesystem that is
the be all or end all.

    I have no time for either the zealots that think Reiser4 is the next
best thing to sliced bread
    nor those who are going to find some case to demonstrate it is total
crap - no matter what.

    Most people are wise not to use Reiser4 - or any other new
filesystem until it has been
    rigorously tested. I have no bone to pick with that.

    I will try it once it is available in standard kernel sources,
    but I am juggling enough patches as it is, and I am not the patch
wizard that some of the rest of you are.
    If I get burned - so be it. It won't be the first time.

    This game has gone on sufficiently long that Reiser4 has zero hope
of becoming more than a footnote
    used primarily by oddballs and misfits.

    But there is still some hope that a slightly wider audience might
result in numerous positive benefits
    to other filesystems.

    I have read many of the critiques - but even if they are valid, I
thought Linux was a place where
    competing ideas were tested in use not rhetoric.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

-