Re: File system awareness (or lack thereof) of vfs granting of leases

On 2/20/07, bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Robert Rappaport" <robert.rappaport@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> After looking more carefully at your changes, I have a question.  Why
> didn't you modify the linux kernel routine, setlease(), so that it
> would either call f_op->set_lease() or __setlease()?  Instead you
> created a new routine, nfs4_setlease(), and you modified the previous
> calls to setlease() in nfs4 to now call nfs4_setlease.

No good reason that I can see.  I think you're correct that the
->setlease() call should go into the common code, and by invoked by fcntl
too.

That brings up another thing for me.  As I envision what I need to do
for my problem, what I want in my f_op->set_lease() routine is to do
some specific file system work and then I would like to invoke the
__setlease() routine also.  Currently that routine is defined as
static and therefore uncallable from outside.  Is it possible to
export that routine or at least the functionality currently in that
routine?

- Robert Rappaport
-