Re: Ubuntu: network bridging between wireless and wired connection fails

Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
> Nicolas de Pesloüan schreef:
>> Can you also please try to change the order of the scanzas in
>> /etc/network/interfaces, so that iface br0 comes before iface eth1 in
>> the file ? ifup -a is expected to bring the interface in the order
>> they appear in the file...
> I tried that. I'm not posting all the outcomes of all the commands here,
> because it didn''t change the situation :-(. So no success ...
>>
>> Also, you could add "bridge-fd 0" in the br0 stanza. Because you
>> bridge is by design loop-free, there is no reason to wait 32 seconds
>> before entering the forwarding stat.
> Thnx :-). That saves me some time!

32 seconds per test... :-)

> Now, I changed my wireless security to unsecure, and I was able to get
> this:
>
> => with this configuration, the bridge works!
>
> But, when I add eth0 to bridge_ports, it doesn't work any longer
>
> So, maybe, we should try to focus why it doesn't work without security.
> If that works, we could check the WPA side. But I think we first need
> the bridge running in a "easy" situation, with no security

When you setup the bridge at the beginning, the br0 interface takes the
MAC address of eth1. Then you add eth0 and the bridge takes the MAC
address of eth0, because it is lower.

Can you try to use the bridge-hw option of /etc/network/interfaces, to
force the bridge MAC address to the MAC address of the wireless
interface ? This might solve the communication problem for UBUNTU
SERVER... but unfortunately probably not for the bridging function.

That beeing said, Jonathan might be right about the need for WDS... Can
you have a look at the AP configuration, searching for a WDS setup ?
Because if it works on Windows, without WDS (if disabled or unavailable
on the AP), then we can assume that WDS is not required, even on Linux
(the wifi interface is able to receive traffic for another MAC).

If the AP is WDS enabled, then... WDS might be necessary... and nothing
can be done if the driver for you wifi interface does not support it...

	Nicolas.